Gebel’s Gab

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

Metric or Customary Measurement System??? What do you think?

April 8, 2008 by egebel · 36 Comments · Uncategorized

metric/customary rulersPERIODS 6 AND 7
What do you think? Should we go metric or should we stick with the customary measurement system?? Be sure to support your answer with factual information based on your own reading, outside research and the things we have discussed in class.

When you’re ready to write, click on “comments”, enter your first name (see above), period and write your comment. Remember what Mrs. Fuller taught you about writing a persuasive paragraph!! Now start writing and be sure you finish it by Tuesday, April 15. Feel free to log in and see what your classmates have to say.
Happy Writing!! :)

36 Comments so far ↓

• Tommy

I think that we should switch to the metric system because it much easier. Even though Americans are already used to the custormary system, the metric system would be easy to learn and easy to remember because it is based on multiples of 10. Besides that the rest of the world uses the metric system. I think we should use the metric system.

• rebecca s

I think that we should swith to metric becasue it is sooo much easier and and it is easier to understand! With costomary you have to memorize all of these numbers but with metric you just remember how much it is in like a drop or something like that. We are the only country that uses costomary. I think taht we shouls switch! It would just be better for everyone!

• Jake

I think that the United States should switch to th Metric System for many reasons. First off, the entire world except us use the Metric System, using a different system only makes trading and conversion more difficult. Second off, it is so much easier to use. The entire system is based on a power of ten, and each type of measurement (mass, length, capacity) has its own measure( gram, meter, liter). Third off, we only have a limited amount of time. By 2009 the European Union will have cut trade with nonmetric societies. This is why we should switch.

• abby (better one)

I still think the metric system but i think this because all the other countries use it. I also have to say that the customery system would be better because its easier but since all of the other continents use it, it would be better for us to use it. Thats what i think.

• Will Carr Period 7

I personally think that the U.S. should use the Metric System. One reason i have for that is because it is easier, and because almost every other country uses it. Another reason is because in 2009 European market will only use metric labels and we need to buy stuff from there. It would make it a lot easier if we switched to the metric system. Thats my opinion.

• Courtney Muller Period 7

I think that the United States should go metric! It is so much easier!
    Everyone can easily learn it. Almost every other country uses it, so why can’t the U.S.? Everything would be easier for everybody. Also, in 2009 the European market will only import items with only metric labels, so if the U.S. does not switch this could be a big problem!!! These are reasons why the United States should switch to the metric system!

• chris torie

I think it would be easier to go to the metrick sytstem but I beleive we should use both. We are so used to do this and we should not just change right know. This is best becouse most american know how to use the 2 systems. I say we use both.

• Miles Henderson

I believe we should use the metric system because it is eaiser because everything is in powers of ten. Also it would be eaiser to make trades with other country because The United States of America is one of the few countries that use the coustomay system.

• George Timberlake

I think that we should use both because first of all everyone is already used to the customary and it would be hard to learn the metric if you were an adult but i also think we should use metric so it would be easier to sell things to other countries

• Will L.

I beleive we should transfer to the metric units because it’s easier and I also think we should convert to metric units because most of the world already uses it. Also, in 2009 we won’t be able to trade with other countries unless we convert.

• Ben Timberlake

I beleive we should switch to metric because it is easyer to learn because all numbers realte to ten and it would make it easyer to learn because customary is hard to mimerize alos. everyone uses metric around the world and i think we should be like them and switch

• Gregory J.

I think we should go metric. If we just keep using U.S. customary we wouldn’t get any products from other countries and the stock market would crash. If we went metric it would be so much easier to trade between countries… but it would be much harder to measure things since we wouldn’t be able to use a foot or an inch and other U.S. customary measurements.

• Annie B.

I think that we should start using the metric system for many reasons. One reason is because the whole world uses it but us. Another reason is because soon the European market will not make any trades on goods unless they have metric measurements. It is an easy system to learn and would not take very long for all Americans to figure out how to use it.

• Annie B.

I think that we should start using the metric system for many reasons. One reason is because the whole world uses it but us. Another reason is because soon the European market will not make any trades on goods unless they have metric measurements. It is an easy system to learn and would not take very long for all Americans to figure out how to use it. The last reason is that it is based on the multiples of 10 and that is one of the first and easiest multiples that you will or have learned.

• Virginia Dalton

We should change to the Metric system. We should change because almost all of the world uses the metric system. It would be alot easier to exchange goods that have weight, volume, or mass. It is also a lot easier to learn. Learing the U.S. customary system is very hard to learn and remember. The metric system goes into tens. The U.S. customary system does not. It is different like 8fl are in 1 cup and 2 cups are in 1 pint. Overall I like the metric system better and think that we should use it!!

• Nikki (melanie elam)

I think we should switch to the metric system because the metric system is so much easier. In 2009, European countries are going to stop sending goods to any country that uses the customary system. If Americans want other countries to continue to send goods to America, then we should start to use the Metric unit. It’s easy to learn and the rest of the world is using the metric units. When we use the customary system we are just doing more work and the Metric system would make life so much easier for Americans.

• suzanna m.

I think we should switch to the metric system. i think this because metrics are very easy to learn. All relate to 10 which means all you have to do is move the decimal or add or subtract a zero. Another reason we should switch is because Europe will stop excepting goods that aren’t marked with ONLY metrics meaning we would not be aloud to trade with Eruope any more after 2009. And then our econamy would drop even more than it has alredy.

• Kate Harrison Peroid 6

I think the metric system is a better use for measurements. One of the resons why is because the metric system is easier to change from one unit to another unlike the cutomary system. also because the rest of the world is using the metric sysatem and Europe is going to stop all trades with other countries that use the cutomary.

• Isabelle Heard Period 7

I think that we should switch to the Metric system for many reasons. First, I think that we should switch because everyone else uses it and I think that it is silly to be the only country to be using the Customary system. Secondly, if we don’t start using it then the European market will not trade goods with us if we have both customary and metric. It is not very smart to use the customary, in my opinion, because metric is so much easier because all you do is add a prefix to meter and you have about 10 different measurements. Customary is so much more complicated because there are many different words and you have to know how many times each goes into another. Everything would be so much easier if we all used the same system throughout the world!

• nathan sokolic

I believe that we should switch to the metric system for many reasons. Some of them are because we are one of the few countries in the world that doesn’t use it. Also, everything is a power of 10, that makes things much easier because we wouldn’t have to memorize all those other units that really don’t relate to each other at all. the last reason is because in 2009 the European market will not take any product that has a customary sticker on the side. These are just some of the many reasons that we should switch to the metric system.

• noor khan :o)

I think that we should switch to the metric system because it is easier to convert from lets say..grams to kilograms or grams to milligrams. Trade would be easier for us with other countries because a lot of other countries use it, and it’s really easy to learn the metric measurements and how to convert them.

:O)

• Sam M

I think we should use the metric system. It is based on the power of ten, so it would make it easier. Other countries use the metric system and it would help with foreign trade. Also, our money is based on ten; so it would make more sense. Overall I’m in favor of the United States switching to the metric system. It is a easier way to measure and weigh anything.

• Tej $

i THINK WE SHOULD SWITCH TO METRIC UNITS BECAUSE IT USES ONLY POWERS OF 10 AND BECAUSE THE EUROPEAN UNION WILL BANN ANYTHING THAT HAS THE U.S. COSTOMARY MEASUREMENTS. WE ARE ALSO THE ONLY CONTRY THAT DOES NOT USE THE METRIC SYSTEM.

• REID

We should stick with the Metric system. Why?, because practically the whole world uses the Metric system. The Metric system is much easier to learn and would help us a lot. One example I found is that, workers working for the space technology got sent pieces from a foreign country to put together to form a information sender that sends stuff back to the space station. When they started building it, it was in the Metric system and they were used to the U.S Customary system. after they had built it they sent it up to Mars and when it got there it broke down quickly and they ended up not getting much information from it. The conclusion from t was that they put it together wrong, because they weren’t used to the Metric system. The Metric system is the future!! We should start using the Metric system.

• Keith H.

I think that the Metric System because it is an easier way of measuring things. The Customary System has way too many conversions to remember like 8 fl. oz. in a cup and 16 oz. in a lb. and its just a matter of time before too many people get confused because when you convert the Customary System it doesnt follow any specific order. The Metric System is better because all of the convertions you make in this sysetm follow the powers of ten. Following this method help you to remember the order and also helps making conversions easier.

• Purple Rainbow (Samad)

i think we should go metric. we should go metric because it will open more trade in the world. but i think that we should stay the same because if we went metric there would be a recall on everything in the customary system. it would cause economical chaos

• Ross Johnston

I believe we shouls switch to the metric system because it is easier. We should also switch because all the other countries use it. some countries arent accepting anything that uses the customary sytem. That is why i think we should use the metric sytem..

• Cory Page

We should switch to Metric. There are many resons why we should switch to metric. 1) Its all based on powers of ten ( you don’t have to remember 8floz per cup) 2) Its used by 95% of the world ( 5% uses the coustomary system.) 3) Its on all product labels. Most people cook with it. Why is the U.S. not on Metric . Why do we use Coustomary????? I think its because the U.S. wants to be differnt and have an own way of measuring or weighing things in our country. But their wrong because all that will help them do, is fail. England said in 2009, that any product with Coustomary systems on it they wouldn’t buy. Thats a major problem in our counrty. How will we deal with it??
    -Cory Page

• Eddie McCrady

I believe that we should go with the metric system. I know that most Americans are used to the U.S. Customary system, but I believe that we should go to the metric system. I believe this mainly because if we were to go to the metric system than we would be more productive in selling products to other countries. We would be more productive in selling products because the rest of the world runs off of the metric system. I think this is one of the reasons that the country China is such a big industrial country. Our country would be more succesfull if we were to change to the metric system. I understand that we are all adapted to the U.S. Customary measurements, but it wouldn’t be that hard if we converted to the metric system. Another reason is that Europe will start taking our goods if we don’t start making products that the metric measurements on them. My last reason is that it is much easier to convert. For example, if you were to try to convert ten liters to milliliters than all you have to do is find multiples of ten. For these reasons I believe we should go to the metric system.

• Mary Bethany Vincent!

I think the American society should start using the metric system for multiple reasons! Well one reason is that the ENTIRE world uses it except for us making it easier for them to travel and still know how to use this system. And if we travled anywhere we wouldn’t know how to compare or contrast in measurments. Also, another great reason is that we can trade with other countries all around the world. As if now where people probley don’t won’t to but any of our producs because they don’t know how big it is. No one wants to buy a 20 foot by 40 foot picture frame!

• Mary Bethany Vincent!

Also in 2009 we WONT BE ABLE TO TRADE with other countries because on the lables there are only using the metric system!

• Susan Holmes Period 7

I believe we should switch to the metric system because it is easier to remember. You just have to know the powers of ten. The metric system also makes trading foods, drinks, ect. less complicated. Almost every other country in the world uses the metric system and I think we should be one of them. If Europe follows through with there plan in 2009 then we will no longer be able to trade with them.

• Summer (Chichi)

Although it is hard to switch over from the customary to metric for some people, the United States should go metric.
    Soon, America will be stripped of the ability to trade with other countries. The U.S. is one of very few countries who use the customary system, so other countries don’t really understand how it works. In a year or so, the labels on products will only state the metric measurements.
    Another reason is that metric is easy to learn! Metrics follow measurements by the ten, hundreds, and thousands. Whereas customary uses measurements in a scattered, difficult way that the average person wouldn’t understand. For a customary example, 5,280 feet are in a mile. Well great! How am I supposed to learn that by heart?
    In a metrics example, (Yay! No notecards needed!) 1000 milligrams are in a gram, 100 centimeters are in a meter, 1000 millimeters are in a meter, and so on!
    We are probably the only country that uses customary and I strongly think that should change and that America should switch over to the metric system.

• blair

we should switch to the metric system because it is much easier then the one we use now. It will also eliminate the problems with trading with other countries and in science they want have to worry when you change systems. In the metric system it goes by powers of ten and you are less likely to mess up your measurements when doing important things.

• koren l.

I think that we should go metric because for 1, we are the only country that does not use it and it’ll be easier for shiping to and from other country’s. Also, it is easier to use and for those who don’t know the metric system it will be easy to learn.

• anna

i believe that we should switch to the metric system!! It would make things so much easier! everyone uses the metric system but the united states. The metric system is easier to learn so if you are ever new to the metric sytstem it is easier to learn. its also easier to convert!!!